Your Blood Donation Can Save the Life of a Car Crash Victim

This post is also available in: English

collecting-bloodYour blood donation can make the difference between life and death for a car crash victim. A single patient with a serious injury may require as much as 100 pints of blood, reports the American Red Cross.

Type O negative is often in short supply because it can be given to patients of all blood types in emergency situations. Hospitals have a high demand for all blood types, and Type O negative tops the list.

Only 7% of people in the United States have Type O negative blood. If you have Type O negative blood, your donation could be lifesaving.
But all blood types are important, and you can become a loyal and consistent blood donor. There is no synthetic or manufactured form of blood, so the nation’s blood supply comes directly from generous people who have made the decision to donate. Keeping our hospitals well-supplied with blood is critical.

Simple Process

The process of donating blood is fast and safe, and involves just four simple steps:

  • 1. Registration
  • 2. Medical history and mini-physical
  • 3. Temperature check
  • 4. Refreshments

The actual donation of blood takes only about 10 – 12 minutes. The entire process, including screening, requires only about an hour and fifteen minutes out of your day.
Donors give about one pint of blood and can safely donate every 56 days. With this charitable act, you can help save hundreds of lives.

Every blood donation is checked for HIV, hepatitis B and C, syphilis and other infectious diseases. A new needle is used for every blood donation, which is then discarded at completion of the blood draw, and there is no health risk to blood donors.

Giving to Help Others

Americans are known for their generosity and desire to help others. About 60% of Americans donate to charity, 39% volunteer every month, and 65% reach out to help a stranger at least once a month. Giving blood is another generous way we can help others.

The American Red Cross is responsible for supplying approximately 40% of the blood to the entire nation. It provides blood to treat patients in 2,700 hospitals.

Mobile blood drives represent the most effective way blood is collected by the American Red Cross. These drives are organized by corporations, community organizations, high schools, colleges, religious organizations and many other groups. Mobile blood drives collect about 80% of the blood supply, with the remaining 20% collected at blood donor centers.

Have you given blood? Is your company or other group involved in charitable works and volunteering? Take part in a blood drive and help save the lives of car accident victims.


American Red Cross: Blood Facts and Statistics
The Guardian: Charitable giving by country

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *